Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DEMO: Adams Sunshine Bowl

THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED TO HTTP://ARTSTUDIOSECRETS.COM/BLOG.

Michael Lynn Adams posted a neat demo on his site of a copper bowl filled with lemons. Beautiful work. You know I'm a sucker for glowy still lifes.

In case you're not already aware, yellow is a pain. I have such a time with it! But I keep trying to work with that quadrant of the color wheel because it has such life to it. Michael's demo is a sweet solution.

It also has another of my favorite juicy paint effects - halation. Halation is the bounce of strong light over an object, so that the light bleeds into the air around it. That red glow over the lemons is halation. It helps give the effect of "painting the air."

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe in a reader
Or, you can Subscribe to Art Studio Secrets by Email

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the video of Michael's painting. It was sort of relaxing in comparison to the ones that show frenetic hands, and yet, I missed that. Also, thanks for "halation". That was the most striking effect for me. Don't remember hearing the word before.
    Love your yellow daffodils, BTW. I know what you mean about yellow. I had quite the battle with trying to move lemons away from green. I think cad yellow deep was a big help.

    ReplyDelete