Tuesday, January 13, 2009

DEMO: Kassan Charcoal Portrait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84s3I-1SZHo

(WHAT IS UP WITH BLOGGER TODAY??? TRIED TO EMBED THE VIDEO LIKE 6 TIMES AND BLOGGER KEPS BLOWING AWAY THE POST, SOOOO SORRY)

Don’t you wish you could draw like this? This is a charcoal drawing portrait demonstration that David Kassan did for the Salmagundi club in New York last year. While highly realistic, David’s work is always identifiable and uniquely his.

I like this demo because you can clearly see the steps David employs to ensure he has a solid likeness before he starts refining and modeling the individual forms. Working from the outside in, the first couple minutes he’s laying in the different angles and proportions, measured against each other, that carry the real look of that model.

Also note the big brush – I need to get me one of those!! It smooshes the charcoal around, softening edges and creating a median tone he can work into. Nice way to “draw the air.”

Noob note: erasers are not error-correcting tools, they are light giving tools.

For more information on David, check out his site: http://davidkassan.com/.

1 comment:

  1. This is cool, Thanks for posting a link. Hopefully someday I'll do a real drawing demo video, maybe this spring when all of this solo show craziness is over. I have a ton of different ideas that I think could help people, stuff that took me years to figure out, so hopefully it can fast track some artists out there. :) Great site. Lots of info, but the music is kinda scary.

    ReplyDelete